some color studies
i got carried away
Ahhhhh this is really beautiful!! I love the jewelry
See these torture devices? This is what I have to deal with when I get too excited/overloaded with work and I draw and draw and draw with no regard for the warning aches in my wrists.
I know a lot of other artists suffer from tendonitis/carpal tunnel syndrome, and webcomic artists are especially prone to it since we spend a lot of time hunched over keyboards too. (I’ve noticed typing seems to aggravate it more than drawing.)
Here are some tips I have learned the hard way:
- Don’t assume the pain will “go away eventually” and just keep drawing. Trust me, it will not. It’s only downhill from here. The pain means you’ve already injured yourself. Take a break.
- If you do press on anyway, you’ll have to wait longer to heal. When I first had my doctor see me, he said to take a minimum two week break from drawing and typing. If you are like me, that’s like asking me to stop breathing for that long. Do you want to die?? Do you?? I didn’t think so. Put the pen down and take a break.
- It takes a LONG time to heal. It took me about two years to stop feeling the effects when I messed my wrists up really bad the first time.
- Once you feel better, the instinct is to immediately jump right back into drawing/typing/whatever activity caused your repeated stress injury (hey I’m not judging) but be careful not to overdo it and hurt yourself all over again! It’s not like a videogame health bar that always replenishes back to full. I’ve noticed that once I got tendonitis, it never fully went away, and the more often I induced it with bad habits, the sooner it comes back after doing the same amount of drawing. Pay attention to your activity and to your body telling you it’s time to stop before it hurts.
- This video of wrist exercises helped reduce my pain a lot, and is also good for preventing it in the first place.
Take care of yourself, artists. Your hands are your livelihood. Don’t take them for granted!
Hemingway makes your writing bold and clear.
Basically the coolest little tool to have as a writer.
This is awesome!!!
There’s always space for yet another armor tutorial, right? (ﾉ´ヮ´)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
Note that the armor I drew would be worn around 15th century, the more into the future the less and less components knight’s armor had (i. e. in early 14th century instead of greaves a knight would wear long boots only; in 12th century knights didn’t wear plate breastplates and instead a chain mail only). Also the design of armor pattern changed by year and was different in every country (i.e. in eastern Europe armors, while still looking European, were heavily influenced by Turkey). so just make sure you always do research whenever drawing an armor. And one more thing to keep in mind is that armors were expensive, knights wearing a full plate armor weren’t an often sight.
Some links that may be useful:
- Armour Archive (I strongly suggest to browse its forum, there is no country or period of which armor wouldn’t be discussed)
- Therion Arms (armorer’s page; each accessory is photographed in big resolution and several time so it’s a nice page to use as reference for drawing)
- Revival Clothing (another store, but both with medieval clothing and armors; I suggest to read the articles, they’re often supported with pictures)
- Basic Armouring:A Practical Introduction to Armour Making (pdf)
- Educational Charts (pdf, shows how armors and weapons changed over the years)
- Medieval & Renaissance Material Culture (actual medieval resources, mostly paintings. And my favourite subpage - women in armor)
- Dressing in Steel (youtube; a demonstration how to dress in armor)
- How shall a man be armed? (youtube; another demonstration but with 4 different knights from different periods)
In Kansas, they are voting to decide if we count as people enough to have all of our basic rights respected. There is a bill out, you can read it here, that is so disturbing as to be vomit inducing.
It is saying, literally, if you claim ANY kind of religious beliefs, you can fire someone for being gay. You can retract their loans.
Kick them out of school.
Kick them out of their homes. Including foster care.
It’s saying that not only do you not have any legal recourse, but if you try to bring them to court you have to pay for their legal fees and the court’s fees. It says that despite the massive discrimination against LGBT people, they don’t deserve legal protections because someone’s religious views are more important then people’s lives.
It’s incredibly vague, too. It says for sexual identity or for gender presentation which could mean someone who’s just a masculine woman would receive the same treatment for daring to be a tomboy or for Metrosexuals and effeminate men.
This is simply disgusting.
There is a petition here to have this overturned. Please sign it. This needs to stop.
Flour bag animation test
I’m trying to get back into animation and I’m going to attempt as many of these exercises as I can! (This is prompt #10).
If you Ctrl+Click on the little box that shows what is on the layer, it will create a selection the same shape as everything on that layer. This works in Photoshop, too.
I don’t know how I lived life before knowing this.
fuck i didn;t know this
yoshishishu asked: whats your favorite color, your favorite food, and your favorite MONTH
my favorite color? MY FAVORITE COLOR?
Truly the best food in the world are sweet potato maki rolls. I haven’t had these in so long I almost forgot about them. but hot damn. If you have the chance, try them. Trust me. I hate sweet potatoes ordinarily, science can’t explain that.
Summer is my favorite season. I don’t really have a preference on month though? I’m born in July… so….. JULY?
prayke asked: (you can pretend I'm on anon) What's your favorite color? What is an object, person, experience that you associate positively with that color? What is your motivation or goals in life?
Teal! Any nice mix of green and blue really.
And… Hm. I remember joking about Silvermender that one time. But for the most part I just see it as a really soothing, calming color. Not many associations besides WOW PRETTY. I also use heaps of that color when I draw / paint.
My goals in life? I feel like every year I want to go in a new direction, haha. I always tend to focus on the short term. In the next five years I want to be more successful in freelance illustration. I want to sell prints and maybe make a graphic novel someday. I want to move to California. I want stable and better income, enough to live comfortably (preferably enough so I can afford a dog too!)
Sugar Aquarelle, here’s a very simple tutorial as I promised, hope it’s helpful. ^u^
Anonymously message me (3) things you want to know about me.
gonna draw everyone’s demon oc, let’s do this
Talaem belongs to clapsholas